Recurring Webinar Every 10 Minutes
Top Reasons Your Company Should Locate Your Next Automotive Facility in Evergy's Region
Evergy’s region is the 2nd largest automotive trading hub in the USA only behind Detroit according to Brookings Institute.
Ford & GM OEM Plants:
Largest Ford Plant Under 1 Roof in the World
- Ford Motor Company’s Kansas City plant is the single largest automotive manufacturer in the region producing the popular F-150 trucks and Transit full-size vans. The manufacturer’s most recent investment in the region was worth $1.2 billion which expanded the facility’s capacity and added 3,000 jobs making it one of the top producing plants of the manufacturer. Currently, Ford employs approximately 7,320 workers in our region. Click here for more information.
- The General Motors Fairfax Assembly & Stamping Plant has been producing World Class Quality vehicles in the Kansas City area since 1946. Fairfax Assembly was the first industrial facility to operate as a dual-purpose manufacturer producing both automobiles and jet fighters in the same building. Products built at this location are Cadillac XT4 and Chevrolet Malibu. The plant received the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s 5-star award for its’ 2018 Chevrolet Malibu. Currently, the plant employs approximately 2,260 employees. Recent major investment announcements include $265 million to produce Cadillac XT4. Click here for more information about the plant.
Raw Numbers of Automotive Manufacturing Companies in the Region
- 16 Motor Vehicle Body Manufacturing Companies
- 14 Motor Vehicle Seating and Interior Trim Manufacturing
- 10 Motor Vehicle Electrical & Electronic Equipment Manufacturing Companies
- 12 Truck Trailer Manufacturing Companies
- 9 Motor Vehicle Gasoline Engine & Engine Parts Manufacturing Companies
- 8 Automobile Manufacturing Companies
- 5 Heavy Duty Truck Manufacturing Companies
- 4 Motor Vehicle Transmission and Power Train Parts Manufacturing
- 4 Motor Vehicle Metal Stamping
- 3 Motor Vehicle Brake System Manufacturing
- 1 Light Truck & Utility Vehicle Manufacturing Companies
- 1 Motor Vehicle Steering and Suspension Components (except Spring) Manufacturing
Click here for a full list of all the automotive companies in our territory
Raw Numbers of Automotive Support Companies in the Region
- 251 Machine Shops
- 89 Plastics Product Manufacturing Companies
- 49 Fabricated Structural Metal Manufacturing Companies
- 40 Metal Coating, Engraving (except Jewelry and Silverware), and Allied Services to Manufacturers Companies
- 16 Paint & Coating Manufacturing Companies
- 12 All Other Miscellaneous Electrical Equipment Manufacturing Companies
- 8 Audio and Video Equipment Manufacturing Companies
- 5 Foundries
- 4 Motor Vehicle Metal Stamping Companies
- 4 Spring Manufacturing Companies
A Sampling of Automotive Suppliers in Our Region:
Skilled Labor: Number of People in Automotive Industry in Our Region:
Our region enjoys an abundant, highly skilled workforce as evidenced from the following automotive relevant jobs numbers for the year 2018:
- 21,504 employed as Assemblers and Fabricators, All Other, Including Team Assemblers
- 8,079 people employed as Electricians
- 7,450 employed as Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers
- 5,484 employed as Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- 5,196 people employed as Machinists
- 3,929 employed as Mechanical Engineers
- 2,920 employed as Electrical Engineers
- 2,786 employed as Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- 2,663 people employed as Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- 2,482 people employed as Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- 2,356 employed as Sheet Metal Workers
- 1,199 employed as Tool and Die Makers
- 1,192 employed as Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- 1,031 employed as Mechanical Drafters
- 1,026 employed as Industrial Engineering Technicians
And, Our Automotive Related Jobs Are Growing, Growth Since 2016:
- 83% growth in people employed in Motor Vehicle Metal Stamping
- 70% growth in people employed in Motor Vehicle Seating and Interior Trim Manufacturing
- 50% growth in people employed in Motor Vehicle Steering and Suspension Components (except Spring) Manufacturing
- 39% growth in people employed in Heavy Duty Truck Manufacturing
- 20% growth in people employed as Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- 15% growth in people employed as Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- 12% growth in people employed as Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- 8% growth in people employed as Electrical Engineers
- 8% growth in people employed as Mechanical Engineers
- 7% growth in people employed in Motor Vehicle Body Manufacturing
- 3% growth in people employed as Electricians
Sampling of Universities Offering Automotive, Precision Production, Mechanical & Electrical Engineering, and/or Engineering Technology Programs/Degrees within Our Region:
- University of Missouri- Kansas City has a Bachelor’s degree program in Mechanical Engineering and Master’s degree programs in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.
- Wichita State University’s Mechanical Engineering Department has both undergraduate and graduate level programs with research specializations in Mechanical Systems and Robotics/Control, Thermal/Fluid Engineering. WSU Tech offers associate and certificate programs in Automotive Service Technology, Industrial Automation and Machine Maintenance, Robotics, Assembly Mechanic, Composite Technology, etc.
- The University of Kansas’s Mechanical Engineering Department trains its students in Formula SAE Vehicle Design.
- Missouri Western State University has both a Bachelor’s and Master’s Manufacturing Engineering Technology degree program.
- Kansas State University Polytechnic offers bachelors program in Robotics and Automation Engineering Technology.
- Numerous community colleges offer programs in CAD, Engineering Technology, Automotive Technology, Industrial Maintenance, Machine Technology, Welding, etc.
Our Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) Advantages
Kansas City ranks first in the country in FTZ space, with five manufacturing zones (123.4 acres), nine general purpose FTZ sites, over 8 million square feet of active FTZ space, and 13,000+ acres of inactive FTZ space available for storage or processing merchandise.
Evergy services more than 1.6 million customers in 92 northwestern Missouri and Kansas counties. We have over 13,000 megawatts of efficient generation assets in operation.
Evergy’s diverse energy mix results in affordable, reliable electricity generation. Like many utility companies around the country, we depend on coal as a price-stable way to generate the electricity needed to supply our customers 24 hours a day. We supplement with power generated from other sources, including natural gas, fuel oil, wind, solar, nuclear, biogas and hydro. The result: a balanced portfolio that is responsive to fuel prices, environmental concerns, regulatory initiatives and other factors.
Renewable energy is part of our current mix and will continue to be considered in our future capacity additions We continually explore ways to broaden our sustainable strategy and comply with renewable energy mandates.
Our rates for auto industry manufacturers benefit from that industry’s typical multi-shift operations which reduces the cost per kWh. In addition, auto industry suppliers benefit from cost-saving tariffs that will provide a reduced rate for a five-year period.
Intermodal Transportation Infrastructure
We have access to numerous interstates and all 5 Class I railroads.
Click here to view all available buildings and sites