Why do we have a Privacy Statement?
Evergy, Inc. (“Evergy” or “we” or “us”), and its subsidiaries and affiliates providing utility services understand your concerns about the use of your personal information and are committed to protecting your privacy. We have implemented the following Privacy Statement to give you a better understanding of how we manage your information. This Privacy Statement applies to information we collect when you obtain service from us, use our Websites, systems, or applications, or otherwise interact with us.
Evergy and its subsidiaries control and retain information collected on our Websites, our systems, and applications.
What information is collected from me?
We collect personal information in order to provide you with service and improve your experience. For example, we collect information when you sign up for service, create an online account, fill out a form, pay your bill, make a purchase, contact Customer Services, use our systems, or applications, communicate with us via third party social media sites or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of information we may collect include your name, online account username, email address, postal address, phone number, fax number, Social Security Number, date of birth, payment method information and any other information you choose to provide.
If you believe that any inaccurate or inappropriate information has been obtained or disseminated through your use of our Websites, systems, or applications, you should contact Customer Services.
What other information is collected through Website, systems, and applications activity?
As is true of most Websites, systems, and applications, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information to analyze trends, to administer the sites, to track users' movements around the sites, to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole, and to deliver information and marketing materials to you.
We sometimes link this automatically-collected data to personal information in order to troubleshoot problems and to provide customer support assistance to users of our Websites.
We may also use web analytics services to track additional non-identifying information (such as keywords used in searches to find our site, which pages are visited on our site, how long pages are viewed, etc.).
What are cookies and how do we use them?
We set a persistent cookie to give you the option to store your user ID, so you don't have to enter it more than once. Persistent cookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our sites.
Our Websites may contain electronic images known as Web beacons (sometimes called clear gifs or Web bugs), log files, or other advanced technologies that are useful in the provision of services to you.
If you so choose, you may check with your internet service provider to find out how to disable cookies. Please note that certain features of our site will not be available or may be limited once cookies are disabled.
How can I change my email preferences?
When you register for online access to our sites, you have options to indicate if there are certain types of email communications you prefer not to receive. These preferences can be changed at any time through your account on our Websites. Marketing and promotional email messages from us also contain an opt-out link which you can use to indicate your preference to stop receiving such messages. You may also contact Customer Services to update your contact preferences.
What information do we keep in your profile?
We store information that we collect through cookies, log files, clear gifs, and third-party sources to create a profile of your preferences. We tie your personal information to information in the profile in order to provide tailored promotions and offers and to improve the content and performance of the Websites.
We do not share your profile with third party companies or organizations other than those who are working as utility service providers on behalf of Evergy and its subsidiaries and affiliates. These third parties are only permitted to use personal information for the business purposes specified by Evergy and its subsidiaries and affiliates, such as surveying, research, program promotion, and enrollment.
We may also obtain information about you from other sources. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, including, but not limited to, identity verification services, credit bureaus, mailing list providers and publicly available sources. We may combine that information with other information we collect about you.
What else should I know about my privacy?
If you post comments through a forum or blog on our Websites, you should be aware that any personal information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personal information you choose to submit in these forums.
You are also responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords and/or any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online.
We serve customers in Kansas and Missouri and the information we collect is governed by those states and U.S. law. By accessing or using our Websites, systems, or applications or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the transfer of information to, and processing of information in, the United States and other countries.
How do we us your information?
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our services;
- Provide and deliver the products and services you request, process transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and invoices;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Verify your identity and prevent fraudulent transactions;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events we offer and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Websites, systems, and applications;
- Personalize and improve our Websites, systems, and applications and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Process and deliver contest entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
What about Newsletters, Special Offers and Updates?
We will occasionally send you information on products, services, and special deals we think may be of interest to you. You can sign up for these emails from us on our registration pages or at any time from within your account on our Websites. Out of respect for your privacy, we present the option not to receive these types of communications.
How do we communicate with you?
We will communicate with you in response to your inquiries, to provide the services you request, and to manage your account. We will communicate with you by email or telephone, according to your preference.
With whom do we share and disclosure your information?
We will not knowingly disclose any of your personal information except when we have your permission, or under special circumstances, such as when we believe in good faith that the law requires it, or under the circumstances described below. The following describes some of the ways that your information may be disclosed.
Categories of Third Parties with whom we may share personal information:
- Evergy and its Subsidiaries, Affiliates, and Utility Service Providers:We may provide your personal information to our subsidiaries, affiliates, and utility service providers for the sole purpose of processing that information on behalf of Evergy and its subsidiaries.When this is done, it is subject to commitments on the part of those parties to process such information only in accordance with our instructions, and to maintain appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- Data in the Aggregate:We may disclose aggregated data and user statistics to prospective partners and other third parties, and for other lawful purposes.Aggregated data is data that does not identify an individual person.
- Knowledge Base Information:We may post relevant questions that you ask in our Knowledge Base or Frequently Asked Questions sections of our Website.We will not disclose your name in any such postings.
- Other:We also may disclose account information in special cases when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be violating our Terms and Conditions, or may otherwise be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, other Website users or customers, or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities. We may disclose or access account information when we believe in good faith that the law requires it, when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, and for administrative and other purposes that we deem necessary to maintain, service and improve our products and services.
- Transactions:As we continue to develop our business, we may buy or sell businesses or assets.In such transactions, confidential customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets.In the event of a transaction involving the sale of some or all of our businesses, customer and site visitor information may be one of the transferred assets.
How do we protect your financial-related information?
Keeping your personal financial information private is vitally important to us. We do not sell personal financial information provided by our customers. Any user statistics that we may provide to prospective partners regarding financial matters are provided in the aggregate only and do not include any personal information about any individual user. We will transfer your bank account number or other personal information to the appropriate financial institution in order to process any online payments of your customer account.
What about links to other sites?
We encourage you to be aware when you leave our Websites and to read the privacy statements of each website that collects personal information.
Our Privacy Statement applies only to information collected by our Websites, systems, or applications.
Should I protect against viruses?
We use anti-virus software and take reasonable precautions to prevent viruses on our Websites, systems, and applications. However, due to the nature of the internet and the manner in which viruses rapidly change, we strongly recommend that you employ your own anti-virus software when accessing our Websites, systems, or applications. We make no warranty that the Websites, systems, or applications or email correspondence is completely free from such viruses.
How do we protect against spam and unsolicited emails?
We are concerned about controlling unsolicited commercial email, or "spam". We will not sell, lease or rent our email subscriber lists to third parties. However, third parties may send emails on our behalf. While we continue to actively review and implement new technology and filtering features, there is currently no technology available that will completely prevent the sending and receiving of unsolicited email. We encourage you to be cautious about sharing your email address while online and recommend employing tools such as spam filters.
How do we protect children's privacy?
We believe that protecting children's privacy online is extremely important and respect national and international laws, including the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Our Website is not directed to children under 13, and does not knowingly collect personal information from children.
How do we use your mobile phone numbers?
If you sign up for text messaging services, you provide us your mobile phone number and agree to receive text messages from us. This is an opt-in program. We do not sell, lease or rent our mobile phone number lists to third parties.
What security precautions are in place to protect your information?
The security of your personal information is important to us. When you enter sensitive information on our registration forms, we encrypt that information during transmission using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We take prudent steps to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot absolutely guarantee its security.
For added security, we recommend that you log out when you complete an interactive session. For your protection, our system will automatically close your session after inactivity.
Because of the global nature of the Internet, when you give us information, that information may be sent electronically to servers outside the country where you originally entered the information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Except as discussed above or otherwise designated, our sites do not use security encryption measures. Therefore, information that you disclose by use of our sites (as with any site that is non-secure), by posting a message or using email, potentially could be collected and used by others. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our services, and you do so at your own risk.
Once we receive your information, we take reasonable measures to protect the security of your personal information and to ensure the integrity of the information we collect.
Do we make changes to this Privacy Statement?
The effective date of this Privacy Statement is September 5, 2019.
We are committed to safeguarding your privacy on our Websites, systems, and applications. This Privacy Statement does not apply to products or services provided, or information obtained, other than our Websites, systems, or applications.
We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Statement at any time, and encourage you to review it periodically. Your continued use of our Websites, systems, or applications following the posting of changes to these terms will mean you accept those changes.
If you have questions concerning this Privacy Statement, please contact Customer Services.
How can you make changes to your Personal Information?
If your personal information changes, or if you no longer desire our service, you may correct, update, or deactivate it by contacting Customer Services.
In addition, if you want to change, correct, update or delete your registration information, please log in to your account to review and update any of your registration information.
How can you contact us?
If you have any questions or comments regarding our Privacy Statement, please contact us at: Customer Services. The address of our corporate headquarters is 1200 Main St., Kansas City, MO 64105.